Valentine's Day. The words may have filled you with a sense of existential dread in the past, but this year we're flipping the script. We're not telling you to break up with your partner but we're saying that Love Day is about so much more than a pair of lovers. This year, we're all about sending love to best friends, to family members, even little notes of affirmation to yourself! Take this as a little sign of encouragement to spread some love this year, whether it be to your boyfriend, BFF, sister or even your cat!
You can easily find the perfect card for that perfect person with out creative, quirky, cute and funny range of Valentine's Day cards sure to impress anyone - seriously, there's something for everyone!
So, you've found the perfect card and now's the really hard part. How on earth are you going to express all your love and affection in a short little sentimental note? Well, we're not just your one-stop-shop for all things showstopping cards, we can also give you a few tips and tricks on what to write in your Valentine's Day card. No longer will you have to write 'have a nice day' and flail in shame as you watch them read it aloud. Instead, simply follow our guide filled with ideas for Valentine messages that are sure to make their heart beat a little faster and their cheeks flush a little redder.
But if crafting a heartfelt message really isn't your thing, then why not let our pop-up and 3D cards do the talking? Seriously, with cards that pack this much pizzazz, you can let the magic designs do the talking.
Love You To The Moon And Back 3D Musical Card, £8.50 - Shop here
Sausage Dog Light Up Concertina Love Card, £8.50 - Shop here
I Want To Dance All My Dances With You Valentine's Day Card, £8.00 - Shop here
Sausage Dog Concertina Valentine's Day Card, £3.50 - Shop here
We’ve got a few hints to ensure that your Valentine messages make sparks fly, and they all come down to the specifics. We're hoping these last little hints will help you to write the best Valentine's card the world has ever seen.
- Use the recipient's name (or pet name!). Make it feel personal and we promise they'll be giddy for days.
- Try and make it personal. This is a great opportunity to include a little funny anecdote, reference a funny tradition or load in the inside jokes - after all, this is just between you and them!
- Flex your artistic skills. It doesn't matter if you're not Vincent Van Gogh; just add some doodles to your card, from little hearts to funny stick men!
- Emphasise certain words in your card, such as words that are important in getting your message across or that define your valentine. Underline them, write them in all-caps, or use bubble letters!
- Don't be afraid to go for the laugh! Make light of Valentine's Day or yourself by bringing in the teasing and edgy humour that you know your special someone likes.
- Write what you feel. At the end of the day, you're telling someone how much you appreciate them and nothing is more effective than telling them straight.
Valentine Messages for Him
Romantic Walks to the Pub Valentine's Card, £2.75 - Shop here
Whether he's your big spoon, your favourite celebrity or your biggest supporter, it's easy to get flustered when trying to find something wonderful to write to him. Try and keep it personal to you and him and write a message that only the two of you can find the true meaning in. So why not take one of our suggestions as a jumping off point and let your flowing pen do the rest?
- Roses are red, violets are blue, I hit the jackpot when I met you!
- You've swept me off my feet and made my life complete.
- I love you to the moon and back
- You’re my favourite human
- Here’s to the last XX years and an even brighter future!
- Happy socially-acceptable-PDA day!
Valentine Messages for Her
We're A Perfect Match Pull-Out Card, £8.50 - Shop here
Whether she has high expectations or no expectations, wow her on Valentine's Day with a card that shows her just how loved she is. Remember, a little bit of effort can go a long way....
- God, not you again!
- You’re pretty annoying but I love you
- We’ve been 10 years, here’s 10 things that I love you more than...
- To my perfect match, you really light a spark in me
- I'd give up my half of the duvet for you.
- Thanks for being you and for being mine.
Valentine Messages for Friends
I Love You Chicken Nuggets Card, £3.00 - Shop here
They're your best friend, your partner in crime and the sibling you never had all in one. They deserve some big love. Fill their card with funny poems, nostalgic stories and reminders of how much you appreciate them. Who said Valentine's Day is just for couples?
- There’s no one I’d rather be single with!
- Who needs a partner when you’ve got a partner in crime?
- You’re the [blank] to my [blank] - this is a great way to make your message even more personal! Think Mary-Kate to my Ashley, Joey to my Chandler, brie to my cranberry, we could go on forever.
Valentine Messages for Family
The Love Lottery Valentine's Day Card, £3.50 - Shop here
If you're sending a Valentine's Day card to a sibling, a parent on any family member for that matter, you're probably going to want to keep it sentimental. This is the perfect time to show your boundless love and appreciation for all of your relatives with emotional-laden messages that really sparkle. Conjure a memory, share your feelings and let them know just how special they are.
Funny Valentine Messages
98% Done Valentine's Day Card, £2.50 - Shop here
Though you may resist at first, Valentine's Day is a prime opportunity to lean into the cringe. Yes, your message may trigger an eye roll or a groan but it's also sure to get a big laugh and an even bigger hug afterwards. You know better than anyone how to make someone close to you giggle but we can try and help...
- If you were a library book, I’d check you out.
- I’m no photographer but I can picture you and me together.
- Hey, my name’s Microsoft. Can I crash at your place tonight?
- If you were words on a page, you’d be fiiiiiiiiiine print.
- Did it hurt? When you fell from heaven!
- Is your name Google? Because you're all I've been searching for.
How to End Valentine Messages
You can hardly sign off a romantic card with the words 'best wishes' or 'kindest regards'. You've got to have a big finish; a showstopper worthy of an encore. Hit them right in the feels!
- Can we kiss now?
- Always and forever
- With all my love and kisses and snuggles and snogs
- Love you long time.
- Forever yours
- Till next year!
Whether you're sending out one Valentine's Day card or 12 (hey, we're not here to judge), make sure you nail every single one and have the best day ever, filled with love, giggles, and a lot of chocolate.